Friday

Foodie Friday: I do not like them, Sam I am.

Ever eaten pickled eggs? You probably have a strong opinion about them either way. I'm not really an "egg" person, I'll have scrambled eggs a few times a year and I think omelets are foul, but I happen to think hard-boiled, pickled eggs are damned delicious. Here's how I make mine:


Pickled Green Eggs
You will need:
Eggs
Vinegar of your choosing - My favorite vinegar is apple cider vinegar and I always prefer it, but white vinegar works fine too. 
Salt and other seasonings as you see fit.- I like mine spicy so I use about 2 tablespoons of salt, about 3 tablespoons of mustard, onion (powdered or little slices) and a few drops of Louisiana hot sauce.
Green food coloring - or whatever color your want them, if you're cool and want to eat fun-colored eggs. If you're boring, food coloring is optional.
Veggies - also optional if you're boring. I <3 pickled carrots, cauliflower and celery but I don't always have them on hand.

Boil eggs for 7 min. , only using enough water to barely cover the tops of the eggs. Pour eggs into a bowl of cold water that has been placed in the sink- let cold water run over to cool them down. While the water still running, use the pot you cooked the eggs in to bring your vinegar, spices and food coloring to a boil- I never measure my vinegar, you need about as much as the water you used to boil the eggs. Peel the eggs and add them to the boiling vinegar mixture. Turn down heat, still keeping it hot but not letting it boil. Add veggies. Cook until eggs become a brilliant green (or whatever color you used. If you just use my salt/mustard combo,they will turn freakish yellow). Cool in a plastic container, cover tightly with a lid. Let cure for at least 24 hours. BAM! Home-made pickled eggs!


1 comment:

  1. I'm addict to pickled eggs and onions and if I was forced to choose between the onions and chocolate, onions would win out. Sad but true!

    ReplyDelete